1) Never introduce bottle for feeding.Always use katori-spoon.
2) Continue breast feeding till 1 ½ to 2 years.
3) Exclusively breast feed your child till 6 months.At 6 month start weaning with thin foods,gradually thickening consistency over the next 2-4 weeks to the thickest consistency acceptable to your child.Introduce new food every 3-4 days.
4) Add little quantity of oil/ghee or sugar/jaggery to make food energy dense.
5) Add plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to the child’s daily diet.
6) Let the food be tasty and attractive.Offer a varigated diet.
7) Offer nuts and peas (small and hard food items) in crushed form or as juice to children below 3 years age in order to prevent aspiration in airways.
8) Top milk (cow/buffalo/packaged) undiluted,with added sugar to be given after 1 year of age. (Avoid excess intake of top milk)
9) Aim for child to eat from family pot at 1 year of age.Encourage group eating for toddlers (age 1-3 years)
10) As the child gets older encourage self feeding.
Drinking with cup : 6 months.
Soft finger foods : 8-9 months.
Use of spoon : 10-12 months
11) After recovery from illness give an extra meal for 1-2 weeks to help regain lost weight.
12) Refrain from junk food,e.g chips,chocolates,biscuits,Maggi,chiwada etc.
13) Do not force feed your child.
14) Always prefer homemade food to canned food.
15) Do not harbor misconception like ‘garam,thanda or khatta’ foods.
Choice of food to be given at 6 months
Boiled & then cooled water
Khichdi (Over cooked Rice+Dal)
Mashed boiled potatoes
All fruit juices
Mashed banana-with top milk
Choice of food to be given at 6-12 months
Use curd/milk to adjust consistency of semi-solid foods and mash it with fingers to suitable consistency.Add plenty of fresh vegetables or fresh fruit in every semi-solid meal.
Suji / dalia
Tenderly cooked/minced chicken/meat
Egg yolk (below 1 year)
Egg white and fish (above 1 year)
Veg-halwa/kheer e.g carrot,white pumpkin etc.
Coocked sprouts Dal with rice/roti
Crushed roti with Dal and vegetables
Crushed roti with milk & sugar
Sattu / ragi powder with milk/curd
All fresh fruits (including banana,guava,citrus fruits & Mango)
Curd and lassi